Don’t you just LOVE when people quote IRS regulations to you? You know, regulations written by those who have never worked in a financial institution and have to work with the general public and their levels of knowledge on a day-to-day basis???For the last 13 years since HSAs have been introduced, you would think the understanding of these account would get better, but they still breed so much confusion and interpretation that they are steeped in misunderstanding by both customers and the bank and credit union employees - causing hours of corrections all year long. We are brain-washed into a customer-service mindset and ignoring our account holders’ mistakes on their HSA accounts and refusing to help them correct those mistakes are at odds with everything we have been trained to do.So how do we strike that perfect balance between customer responsibility and custodial responsibility on Health Savings Accounts, and what kind of firewalls can we put in place to prevent constant monitoring?
- What is the definition of a HDHP and eligibility for an HSA?
- What are the contribution limits for 2016/2017?
- How do we handle the removal of excess contributions?
- What responsibilities does the financial institution have to monitor qualified medical expense withdrawals?
- What kind of account should the HSA money be invested in?
- How do we re-deposit medical expense reimbursements?
- Are your HSA contributions and distributions being reported correctly to the IRS on the 5498-SA and 1099-SA?
- What are the custodial HSA monitoring responsibilities?
Who Should Attend?
New Account Representatives, Certificate of Deposit Personnel, Savings Counselors, Accountholder Service Representatives, Investment and Trust Personnel who are involved in the opening, selling, marketing, or administration of HSAs. Any officer/manager who "oversees" the New Account department and may be responsible for answering HSA accountholders questions or concerns but does not actually open HSA accounts.
Please note: This site employs features that may cause unexpected behavior in older versions of Internet Explorer. If you experience a problem, try refreshing your screen. If this doesn't solve the problem, click on this link.
You may contact us by using the Online Chat button below.